Skip to main content

A hunter and his wife in Akiyama-go: village deep in mountains 5/5 (published in 1983&1992) 、 秋山郷に生きた猟師とその妻 (part 5)

 

Contents 目次

1.Lived in mountains and Brought up children 山で生きた、育てた (part 1 < Link)
2.Life in Akiyama-go: an innermost mountain villages、秘境の里・秋山郷の暮らし (part 2)
3.The way of life of Kametaro (husband)、夫・亀太郎の生きざま (part 3)
4.The way of life of Harue (wife)、妻・ハルエの生きざま
5.Fun of life in Akiyama-go、秋山郷で生きた楽しみ (part4)

6.Looking Back on Life、半生を振り返る (part 5、this article)

(1)Life up to now、これまでの生活
(2)Current life、今の生活
(3)Harue’s evaluation of Kametaro、ハルエの亀太郎評
(4)Life ahead、これからの生活

 


The book is exhibited in Akiyama-gou community hall 
「とねんぼ」の展示で『山の女』を知りました



6.Looking Back on Life

(1)Life up to now

The "Afterword" of Mountains, Hunters, and the Valley of Slash-and-Burn Fields states: "Kametaro Yamada lived out a traditional and old lifestyle—cultivating slash-and-burn fields, hunting animals in the mountains, fishing for char, gathering nuts, and harvesting mushrooms and wild mountain vegetables."

In short, that is exactly how he lived.

 

It also notes: "A hunter from the Yashiki hamlet, Kametaro was one of the so-called ' a founder a house'—outsiders of the hamlet but grew up in the Akiyama-go region. His only asset was a house like a shelter to keep out the rain and wind; he owned no land. I asked him the details how he managed to survive.

A friend who read the manuscript described his life as 'somehow rough, but magnificent'; indeed, Kametaro’s existence was defined by a fierce way of life that—by today's measure—might well be called rough." I totally agree.

 

Reflecting on the past, Kametaro would often say, "I survived—I really gave it my all—but now, it’s all over."

 

Only a man, who has live life to the fullest, could unintentionally say the words as a real feeling; it would be also both the melancholy realization that he could no longer do it and the pride that he did it.

Such a way of life has become rare. Regardless of what one thinks, I have recorded it here as a typical example.

 

The author notes that "life in the remote regions of Japan at the time was much the same everywhere; Akiyama-go was not uniquely harsh." Indeed, unlike the plains where vast rice paddies spread out, life in the mountainous areas was a struggle.

 

Harue, too, has left behind many words (Woman of the Mountains): “In this valley, everyone was truly poor; we struggled every single day just to find something to eat.”

She notes that while we are fortunate enough to live in better times, “Our parents suffered and suffered—they suffered their whole lives and died still suffering.”

 

(2)Current life

Harue describes her life as dreamlike, yet she criticizes the habit of disposability.

“The world has completely changed now; there isn’t a single household that goes without food for the day. In fact, it’s far beyond that—people can eat whatever they please. And so, they think nothing during throwing away leftovers.

 

It’s the same with clothing; people toss things out one after another just because they’re old, even if there isn’t a single hole or tear in them. They don’t give a thought to waste (Mottainai). That’s why, when I talk about the hardships the people here endured back when I was young, nobody understands at all. I don’t like talking about the past. People just think we were fools back then, or that we did things the wrong way.”

 

Buses run on paved roads, and every home has electricity, gas, a telephone, and a television. "It’s no different from city," she continues. "Even when we work the fields, we use machines for everything—backhoes, tillers. To get anywhere, we take a bus or drive."

 

"Back in our day, we did everything by hand, and if we wanted to go somewhere, we walked—on our feet, all the way. That’s how it was for everyone until about thirty years ago. When I think about that, life now feels just like a dream—it really does." The couple is grateful for the convenience of modern life.

 

(3)Harue’s evaluation of Kametaro

Describing her husband, Harue said, "He was a hunter and a sawyer, but he was also full of ideas and would try anything he came up with. He did whatever would bring in money—from commercial fishing to gathering *kuromonjo* (spicebush) for medicinal liquor—and even when we spent all money, he always managed to find a way to get cash. Sure, he gambled, but he didn't neglect his work just to gamble; well, I suppose that’s just how he was."

 

Regarding his work as a bear hunter, she said: “Hunting is just like gambling—it’s a hit-or-miss affair. In a good year, he might bag many bears—ten or even more—but in a bad year, he might not catch a single one. We had years like that.

Slash-and-burn farming was the same sort of gamble; if the weather turned bad, we’d have nothing to eat by spring.

That’s why we struggled so much.”

 

Except for the year he lost his eye in a rock blasting accident, Kametaro kept right on going. “After that, he hunted bears all with just his left eye. On top of it, he worked the land here—even creating rice paddies—. He really did an amazing job,” she said.

 

(4)Life ahead

Kametaro (71 at the time) tells his story:

“I gave up hunting because of my age, so now I stay home in winter now. Come spring, I head into the mountains and stay in my hut with wife until autumn. We manage the rice paddies (2000 sqm) and the asparagus fields (4000 sqm)—my son leveled the land with a bulldozer during his time off, and my wife and I take care of the fields and grow vegetables in addition.

 

I also cut timber to cultivate nameko mushrooms. Since I own a large land with plenty of natural springs, I grow wasabi (spice) there, and cultivate udo (Japanese spikenard) as well.

I go into the mountains to gather zenmai (royal fern shoots): kobushi (magnolia) blossoms—those fetch a good price because they’re used to make nasal medicine. I gather bamboo shoots and kuromonji brushwood, and strip kiwada (amur cork tree) bark; being a mountain dweller, there’s no end to the work. When autumn comes, it’s mushroom season—and I can still gather as many as anyone.

 

I do everything. So, I can buy the things my grandchildren want. When the children visit, I’ll say, ‘Here, take this,’ and hand them some pocket money. It is my fun things, so I'm rather busy.

Well, I’ll keep working until the day I die. That’s just how humans are made—to work hard all our lives, right up to the end.”

 

 

Kametaro said, "A lifetime means struggling until the day you die", however, they take pride in their lives. It's great!

They never left home for seasonal work or moved to the city; instead, they have continued to live in Akiyama-go.

Even without abundant conveniences and goods, Akiyama-go is the perfect place for this couple.

I would like to express my gratitude to Mr. Shunji Shimura for interviewing the couple and publishing this book.

 

 

Road to Akiyama-go in 2025、秋山郷へ向かう道

 

 

6.半生を振り返る

(1)これまでの生活

『山と猟師と焼畑の谷』の「あとがき」には、“山田亀太郎さんは焼畑を耕し、山にケモノを狩り、イワナを釣り、木の実を拾い、キノコや山菜を採って暮すという昔ながらの生活を実際に生き抜いてきた”と書かれている。ひと言で言えばそういうことだ。

 

また、“屋敷部落の猟師だった亀太郎さんは、財産といえば雨露がしのげる程度の家一軒だけで土地もないという、秋山郷でもめぐまれない、いわゆる“新派もん"の一人だった。そういう人が身一つでどのように暮したかを具体的に語ってもらった。

原稿を読んだ友人の一人は「何とも乱暴な、しかしみごとな」と評したが、確かに亀太郎さんの生涯は、今の人たちの常識から見れば乱暴とも言えるすさまじい生き方で貫かれていた”。同感である。

 

“昔を振り返りながら亀太郎さんは「やったやった オラさっさやった だどもへえ もうおしめえだ」という言葉を何度も口にした。これは力の限り生き抜いてきた男が昔の自分を思い出した時、思わず口をついて出る実感なのだろうし、もうあの真似はできないという淋しさと、昔のオレは立派にそれをやり抜いたんだという誇りがそれを言わせるのだろう。こういう生き様はもう少なくなってしまったが、それをどう考えるかは別として、まず一つの典型としてそれを記録した”。

 

著者は、“当時の日本の辺地の生活はどこも大体似たようなもので、秋山郷だけが特別ひどかったわけではない”とする。確かに水田が広がる平野部と違って、山間部の生活は苦しかったのだ。

 

ハルエも多くの言葉を残している(『山の女』振り返って)

“この沢では、みんなほんとうに貧乏で、毎日毎日食べるものに苦しんだんだから”。自分たちはいい世の中に巡り合えてよかったが、“ワシラの親なんてもんは、苦しんで苦しんで、一生苦しんで、苦しんだまま死んだんだから”。と言う。

 

 

(2)今の生活

ハルエは夢みたいな生活だと語る一方で、使い捨てを批判する。

“それが今は、すっかり世が変わっちゃって、もう、今は、その日食べるものがないなんて家はねぇさね。それどころじゃねえ、食べたいものはなんだって食べられる。それで、残ったものやなんかは、みんな平気で捨てちまう。

着る物だたって、穴もあいてねえ、裂れてもいねえもの、たーだ古くなったってだけで、どんどん捨てる。もったいねえなんてこと考えもしねえんだ。だから、ワシラの若い頃までの、ここらの衆の苦しみなんて、話したたって、ぜーんぜん分からねえ、本当にしねえの。昔の者はバカだったんだ、やり方が悪かったんだってくれえのもん“。

 

舗装道路をバスが走り、電気もガスも、どこの家にも電話もテレビもある。“都会と変わんねえ。それで田圃や畑やるったって、ユンボだ耕運機だ、なんだってみんな機械でやる。どこ行くにもバスとか車でしょう”と続ける。

 

“ワシラの頃は、何やるったって、この手でやるんだし、どこ行くったって、この足で、どこまでも歩いたんだから。三十年くれえ前までは、みんなそうだったんだよ。だから、それ考えると、まーるで、今は夢みてえ、ほーんと”。

夫婦は今の世の中に感謝している。

 

(3)ハルエの亀太郎評

ハルエは夫を評し、“あの人は鉄砲ぶちと木挽きだかったけど、発明の人で、何でもやったから、魚釣り(職漁)から養命酒のクロモンジョ(クロモジ)採りまで、金になるものは何でもやったからね、金ないったって、何とか金みつけて来たからね。まあバクチぶちもやったけど、仕事しねえでバクチばかりやってたわけじゃねえから、まあ、仕方ねえんだよ”。

 

仕事の熊猟も、“鉄砲ぶちなんてのは、やっぱりバクチと同じでさ、あれは当り外れがあって、クマなんてとれる年は、何頭も、十頭もそれ以上もとれたけどさ、とれねえとなったら、それこそ一頭でもとれねえ。そういう年が何年もあったからね。それから焼畑だたって、同じようのもん。もうその年、お天気具合でも悪かろうもんなら、春になればもう食べるものねえ。

だから、苦労したんだよ。“

 

亀太郎は、発破工事で目をつぶした年を休んだだけで、“それからずーっと左目一つで鉄砲ぶち、クマとりもやったし、一人でこの開拓やって、田圃も掘った。まあ、ほんとうにやったよ”と褒める。

 

(4)これからの生活

亀太郎(当時71歳)は語る。

“今は、へえ年で鉄砲やめたから、冬は家でいて、春になると山へ入って、開拓にずっと秋まで、バアチャンと二人でもってやってるんだ。田圃二反、アスパラ四反、今は伜が休みの時にブルでもってみんなやっちまう。それをまあ、あとをバアチャンと二人でもって面倒みたり、野菜作ったりしてるんだ。

それから木を切ってナメコの栽培やるとか、そこら自分の土地が広いから、水の湧く所いくらでもあるから、そこにワサビ作るとか、それからオレ、ウドもやるんだ。

そうして山へ行ってゼンマイを採り、コブシの花も、あれ鼻の薬作るんで値がいいんだ。それからタケノコとか、クロモンジって柴をとるとか、キワダの皮をはぐとか、オラ山家の人間だ、いくらだって仕事あるんだ。秋になればキノコ、オラまだ人に負けねえでやるんだ。

なんでもやる。それで孫の欲しがるもの買ってやる。子供が来れば「オイこれだけやるぞ」って小遣やる。オラそれが楽しみなんだ。これでまだなかなか大変なこっつお。

まあ、まだまだオラ死ぬまで働くんだ。人間ってなあ、これ一生、死ぬまで苦労するように出来てるんだ。”

 


「死ぬまで苦労するのが一生」と言いながらも、自分の一生を誇っているのが、いい。

彼らは出稼ぎはせず、都会へ引っ越すでもなく、秋山郷で暮らし続けてきた。

モノが豊富でなくても、夫婦には、秋山郷が合うのだ。

山田夫婦にインタビューし、このような本として世に出していただいた志村俊司氏に心から御礼を述べたい。

 

<出所>

山の女 秋山郷・焼畑の谷に生きた女の一生(山田ハルエ述・志村俊司編_1992)発行元 白日社
山と猟師と焼畑の谷(山田亀太郎・山田ハルエ述、志村俊司編_1983)発行元 白日社

 

 

 

Previous post (Part 4 of this article):  Fun of life in Akiyama-go、秋山郷で生きた楽しみ

Next post (mountain village in the neighboring prefecture): Ainokura Traditional Industry Museum、相倉伝統産業館、富山県 (coming soon)

 

 

Reference articles、参考記事 : 

Akiyama-go community hall (1/2)、秋山郷総合センター・とねんぼ(その1)

Akiyama-go community hall (2/2)、秋山郷総合センター・とねんぼ(その2)

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

江戸・明治の性愛の楽しみ

性愛については、赤裸々に書き残す人は少なく、隠語で書かれていることが多いといいます。そりゃそうですよね。でも、いくつかの本には、江戸・明治の人々が性愛をどのように楽しんでいたかが書かれています。私が読んだのはほんの数冊ですが、その中から紹介します。ここでは、ビジネスとしての性愛や同性愛ではなく、日常の男女間の性愛を対象にします。人間に欠かせない楽しみですもんね。 ところで、今回は、英文を作れませんでした。私の英語力ではとても対応できない内容なので、英文作成に協力していただけるようでしたら、ぜひ、お声かけ下さい。 ( This article “Fun of   the eros (性愛) ” is written only in Japanese , because it is too difficult for me to write in English due to lack of vocabulary about eros. If you kindly help me, please let me know. ) 古代に書かれた出雲国の風土記には、忌部の温泉に老若男女が集まって市を作り「燕楽(ウタゲ)」をしたことが書かれています。また、常陸国の風土記には、筑波山でカガイがあり、春と秋に、飲食物を携えて山に登り、自由に情交を結んだことが書かれています(「宴と日本人」、伊藤幹治、 1984 )。男女が楽しむのは、自然の成り行きですね。   江戸・明治の性愛の形 「売笑三千年史」(中山太郎 _1956 )から、どんな形で性愛を楽しんでいたかを紹介します。この本は、神話の時代から明治時代までの売笑の歴史を書いた一級品の本だと思います。「売笑」は、「報酬を得るために多数の異性に対し、継続的に許す」ということだそうです。売笑の説明に入る前に、一般の人々の性愛活動について書かれています(第一章、第二節「婚姻の種々相と売笑の発生的関係」)。 「江戸・明治の性愛の形」(本項)は、主に、そこから紹介します。   【共同婚(乱婚)という習俗】 女性は特定の男性に独占されていませんでした。男性も、どの女性とでも OK でした。 天下の五奇祭のうち、洛北大原社の雑魚寝、近江筑摩社の鍋被り祭り、越中鵜坂社の尻たたき祭り...

Itaibara furusato (hometown) museum、板井原(いたいばら)ふるさと館

Itaibara is a mountainous  hamlet.   I went over the bridge and visited its tiny museum . 鳥取県の旧智頭宿( 智頭町と智頭町歴史資料館 ) から、トンネルを抜けると谷あいの板井原集落があります 。小川の橋を渡ります。本当に ひなびた、隠れ里のような集落に、小さな資料館があります 。 There are twenty-three houses in it. The signboard says, “Cars cannot go inside the settlement, so  it keeps a traditional structure of a mountainous hamlet ." It is rare even in Tottori Prefecture.” I went upstream. 板井原は住宅 23 棟が密集した山村集落で、伝統的建造物群保存地区になっています。「集落内に自動車が入らないこともあり、県内でも珍しくなった 山村集落の形態をよく保持 している」と鳥取県教育委員会の立て看板に書かれています。 上流側に進みます。 The museum is next to the café (Nodoka) which is a renovated house. 藤原家住宅を過ぎて、更に進むと、古民家を改造したカフェ・和佳(のどか)さんがあります。 The  museum was a store house  of the café at present. カフェの隣の 蔵がふるさと館 です。 The inside is  crammed with panels , which are interviews to ex-villagers and so on. It's similar to be a research presentation. The crests at the very back implies the history. 館内には、 所狭しとパネル が貼られ、集落に住んでいた人・住んでいる人へのインタビューなどが紹介されています。研究発表会のようです。 正面の向...

The Great Yoshiwara (published in 2018) 吉原はスゴイ

吉原はスゴイ‐江戸文化を育んだ魅惑の遊郭(堀口茉純、 2018 ) 人の楽しみの発見度: Excellent ★★★  This book is written about an authorized red-light district Yoshiwara which was in Edo (old name of Tokyo). There are many pictures in this book and you can understand all about Yoshiwara by this small book.  The author is a pretty actress who is devoted to Japanese history especially Edo city (https://hoollii.com/). She tries to depict the contribution of Yoshiwara to foster Edo culture. Yoshiwara by Kunisada,  新よし原尾州楼かり / 国貞 http://www.ndl.go.jp/landmarks/details/detail274.html?sights=shinyoshiwara;tokyo=taito 、国会図書館 この本は、ほぼすべてのページに浮世絵などの挿絵がある。  前書きで、著者は遊女たちが過酷な労働環境で性的サービスを提供したというブラックな事実を踏まえつつも、江戸文化の形成に貢献したポジティブな側面を伝えたい、と記している。  著者の堀口さんは、執筆時 35 歳の和服が似合う美しい方、 2008 年、江戸文化歴史検定 1 級に史上最年少の 25 歳で合格し「お江戸ル」と称している( https://hoollii.com/ )。遊郭・吉原の全てをコンパクトに纏めた良い本だ。 1.     What is Yoshiwara?  Yoshiwara was north of Edo city and surrounded by  rice fields. The  area was ...

Life in Edo, old Tokyo (published in 1959) 江戸生活事典

Very good : ★★★  (this is a long and interesting page)   Various entertainments at Edo or old Tokyo in the  Edo period are written in this book. I found a lot of fun here. I focus on the fun of common people, so I put aside the fun of Daimyo loads , samurais and rich merchants in this book.   In terms of people’s fun, Edo was the paradise definitely. There were a lot of funs in day time and night time. Edo attracted people especially from the country side. I started from my favorite chapter.  三田村鳶魚(えんぎょ)の著作を事典にしたもの。江戸の生活の様々な楽しみが書かれていて、発見が多い。ここでは庶民の楽しみにフォーカスし、大名、武士、大店の主の楽しみは拾わなかった。   人の楽しみの面からみると、まさに、江戸はパラダイス。昼も夜も出会いも、いろいろなものがあって、人を地方からも引き付ける。 気に入った章別にピックアップしていく。  Edo or old Tokyo was very busy city, 熈 代勝覧@三越前 Chapter 7: Daily lives、 風俗概要 (1)   Seasonal recreation、遊楽  Seasonal recreations are written at first. On the New Year’s Day, people went out to see the sunrise. Also winter is a good season to see Mt.Fuji . ...

Travel of Isabella L. Bird in 1878, part 1 イザベラバードが見た明治初期の日本(1)

Arrival and visiting Asakusa 日本着、そして浅草訪問   Isabella arrived at Yokohama, near Tokyo, in May of 1878.   She travelled northern Japan including Hokkaido and western Japan including Ise mainly by rickshaw , then she left Japan in December. This diary was written as letters to her younger sister.  She described in detail, so we can understand what happened clearly.  She was 46 when she came to Japan, and she hired Japanese lad as an interpreter. I admire her coura ge because she was the first lady foreigner to visit inland.  This book is stored up in many libraries and Manga version was issued.  She observed various things such as behaviors of Japanese people, plants and stratums meticulously and she elaborated on scenic beauty. I leave those matters to other authors, I would like to focus on the fun of old Japanese which she saw in Japan.   The photo of Isabella in 1896 from the exhibition “Voyage of Unbeaten Tracks in Japan” 、1 896 年の...